Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Jury Duty - Day 2

Today I was determined not to be a sucker and get their early again, so I got up and took the time to make myself a tasty mocha. I drank that one before I left and so decided I should probably make another. I was told to be there at 8:30 today and showed up about 8:40. That was mildly frowned upon, and then I immediately sat around for about an hour before being called into a court room.

On the docket today was a DUI. Let me just say at this point that jury selection is an exceptionally boring and tedious process. I found some of the questions by the attorneys to be rather strange. The prosecuting attorney asked everyone what their favorite tv show was. One pompous poser said he doesn't watch tv. He only listens to NPR. He was not selected. The defense attorney asked everyone about their job, or if they were retired or unemployed, what they used to do or what their spouse did. I have no idea what any of that has to do with qualifications for judging a DUI case.

I'm not sure why, but the prosecuting attorney kept looking at me. Every time I looked over at me she was eying me. The only plausible theory I can come up with is that she was uncontrollably attracted to me. Nothing else makes any sense.

I am happy to say that my streak of being dismissed remains intact. There were no dismissals for cause, and the jurors were selected behind closed doors, so I have no idea why they picked who they did. What I do know is that the 6 jurors selected were from the first 10 people in our pool of 20. So as long as I can hold onto the coveted #19, I think chances are good that I won't be selected at all this week.

I got out of there at about 11:00 today. Not bad for a day's work. Jury duty was always a nuisance before, but then again, I have had jobs that paid by the hour every other time I've been summoned, so jury duty meant I didn't get paid that day. Now that I'm salary and get paid anyway, it's not so bad. Sure I'm going to have a ton of work on Monday, but a week of half days makes it all worthwhile.

No comments: