It's been quite some time since I've written anything, for a variety of reasons, but the NFL draft is a holiday in the Craw Fu household and I can't let it pass without voicing my opinions. So I've got a special treat for you today - a full first round mock draft.
1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel, OT Texas A&M
If the rest of the draft experts in the world are correct, this is a foregone conclusion. I have no reason to disagree.
2. Jaguars - Dion Jordan, DE Oregon
The Jags have a lot of holes to fill, so this pick is a crapshoot, but they could use a pass rusher.
3. Raiders - Eric Fisher, OT Central Michigan
The Raiders have traditionally been the easiest team to mock in mock drafts, and I'm tempted to say they will draft Marquise Goodwin here since he ran the fastest 40 at the combine, but I'll try to take it seriously. Most experts are predicting the Raiders will take a DT here, and they sure do need a DT, but this year's draft is much deeper at D line than O line and I think they can get a solid DT later on. Taking an OT that will keep their new QB upright and help out in the running game for the next decade seems like a better move to me.
4. Eagles - Star Lotuleilei, DT Utah
The Eagles need a lot of help on defense, and Star is a good fit.
5. Lions - Ziggy Ansah - DE BYU
The Lions have drafted defensive linemen high in the first round 2 of the last 3 years, so I have a hard time pulling the trigger on this one, but this is also the same team who drafted a WR in the first round every year for almost a decade, and I'm really high on Ziggy. I think he's going to be amazing.
6. Browns - Dee Milliner, CB Alabama
The Browns biggest need is corner, and Dee is as good as it gets in this draft.
7. Cardinals - Chance Warmack, OG Alabama
The Cardinals offensive line has been downright offensive in recent years. Warmack is a mauler who will help them in a big way.
8. Bills - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee
Provides much needed help on offense. Rumor has it that the Bills really like Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, but trust me when I tell you he'll never amount to anything. Rumor has it that the Jets also are high on Nassib, so maybe the Bills can sucker the Jets into trading up.
9. Jets - Xavier Rhodes, CB Florida State
What the Jets need most is a really fast WR who can chase down defensive backs after Mark Sanchez throws an interception. And while they need a QB, they can't really afford one until they get Sanchez off the roster. I think their biggest need now that they traded Darrelle Revis is CB, hence Xavier Rhodes.
10. Titans - Jonathan Cooper, OG North Carolina
The Titans will be thrilled to have him drop in their laps
11. Chargers - Lane Johnson, OT Oklahoma
Also thrilled to have him drop to them.
12. Dolphins - Desmond Trufant, CB Washington
The Dolphins need a tackle too, but rumor has it a trade is in the works for Branden Albert from the Chiefs, so the good Trufant comes off the board here. Good luck Desmond.
13. Jets - Barkevious Mingo, DE LSU
The Jets are back on the clock and get some pass rush help with Barky.
14. Panthers - Sharrif Floyd, DT Florida
Considered by some to be the best DT in the draft, the Panthers will be thrilled with this pick.
15. Saints - Kenny Vaccaro, S Texas
The Saints pass defense was amazingly bad last year and needs help in a big way.
16. Rams - Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia
I love Tavon Austin. Love. It will be hard to see him in a Rams uniform. And it will be hard to see him get killed by the Legion of Boom twice a year.
17. Steelers - Jarvis Jones, OLB Georgia
I don't know if the Steelers have ever drafted a linebacker in the first round, but Jones is too good for them to pass up here.
18. Cowboys - Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri
Good fit for the boys.
19. Giants - Alec Ogletree, MLB Georgia
The Giants need linebackers. A lot of them.
20. Bears - Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame
The Bears desperately need someone other than Brandon Marshall who can catch. Plus he can help block on running plays!
21. Bengals - Eric Reid, S LSU
Good fit for the Bengals.
22. Rams - Keenan Allen, WR California
The Rams really need someone for Bradford to throw to.
23. Vikings - Manti Te'o, MLB Notre Dame
I'm tired of writing commentary, so I'm going to stop unless I have something interesting to note.
24. Colts - D.J. Hayden, CB Houston
25. Vikings - Sylvester Williams, DT North Carolina
The Vikings are running low on DTs named Williams.
26. Packers - Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama
27. Texans - Justin Hunter, WR Tennessee
28. Broncos - Bjoern Werner, DE Florida State
29. Patriots - Johnthan Banks, CB Mississippi State
30. Falcons - Damontre Moore, DE Texas A&M
31. 49ers - Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, DE Florida State
Great value here if Tank recovers from a torn ACL. I was hoping he'd drop to the Seahawks in the 2nd round, but that doesn't look like that will happen.
32. Ravens - Matt Elam, S Florida
The Ravens also need a MLB to replace Ray Lewis, but they need a replacement for Ed Reed worse.
So there you have it. That's exactly how it will play out. Except that the Cardinals might go with Geno Smith instead. It's hard to imagine he won't go in the first, but looking at the team needs it doesn't look like it will play out that way.
As for the rest of the draft, someone is going to get a bargain with Robert Woods. I think he's the best WR in the draft, and it's a possibility that the Seahawks might snag him if he's on the board with their 2nd round pick, but I think Brandon Williams (DT) from Mississippi Southern State is a better fit. That guy is a road block and will really shore up the run D.
In the 3rd round, I really like Zaviar Gooden (OLB) from Missouri. He's extremely athletic and a great fit for the Seahawks. I also like Marquise Goodwin later in the draft. He's got a lot of work to be an NFL receiver, but he's explosive and has potential.