Thursday, February 07, 2008

iPhone

This is why I hate Apple. Or at least one of the reasons. A lot of geeks complain about Microsoft being controlling, but they are nowhere near as bad as Apple. I own an ipod, and it's the only Apple product I will own. And even with that, I refuse to buy anything from itunes. Market pressure has finally forced them to abandon DRM (digital rights management), and maybe market pressure will eventually force them to abandon some of their other manipulative practices.

I have to think that the only reason an anti trust suit hasn't been filed against Apple yet is because they don't have enough market share for people to care. If they put as much effort and resources into innovation as they do into finding ways to limit third party peripherals and software, it would be amazing what they could come up with. And I guess eventually I'll probably end up getting pushed into the Linux/Firefox corner as MS continually attempts to adopt Apple's restrictive techniques.

In addition, for your enjoyment, here are some of the other things I hate about Apple:

Their marketing. Those "I'm a PC, and I'm a Mac" commercials are so stupid that I actually get angry when I see them. And I do feel the urge to physically abuse people who actually find that crap amusing. I assume it's the same crowd that keeps the Wayans brothers in business.

The stupid product names. I don't know why they slap an "i" in front of all of their products, but it's annoying. Prepare yourself for the future release of the iCar, the iPants, the iRifle, and possibly even some sort of iBirth Control. The last one may not be necessary for the vast majority of Apple fanatics.

I hate that all of their products look like toys. Everything is brightly colored molded plastic that looks like it's designed for junior high kids. I will admit that the iphone and some of the ipods don't look bad, but I really don't want computer hardware and peripherals that look like they were designed by Fisher Price. Every time I see and imac I think it looks like a "my first computer" toy. Kind of like the goofy looking toy phones for kids to play with. This is what the vast majority of Apple products look like to me.

Anyway, that's enough ranting for now. I'll have to direct my venom elswhere for the remainder of the day.

No comments: