Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Good Bye Fidel

I just came across this today: after 49 years in power, Fidel Castro has finally stepped down. Granted, he is only ceding power to his younger brother Raul, but we're heading in the right direction.

My first thought was whether or not we would lift the embargo, but according to the article, the current administration will not do that until some political reforms are made. My gut feeling tells me that we will be seeing some changes in the coming years and it won't be long until Cuban cigars are available again. And then after an initial boom, most cigar smoking Americans will realize that they still prefer Dominican cigars.

I do think it will eventually turn into a great vacation destination. I'd go there. Warm weather, nice beaches, good food, baseball games to watch, what more could you want?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever think about spring training in Florida? It's got all those, plus I've heard they have a surplus of condos for rent right now.....

Unknown said...

Florida is a little pricier. Plus no Cuban cigars there.

On the other hand, I think Miami has a lot more smoking hot women than Havana. Although I'm certain they are also pricier than their Cuban counterparts. And I don't mean in the sense you're thinking Pat. Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm ashamed of you.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't the one bringing price and women into the same sentence.....

And what's wrong with my mind being in the gutter?.....

Unknown said...

Truth be told, I just kind of wanted to make a somewhat inappropriate joke and needed a scapegoat.