Friday, February 29, 2008

10,000 BC

I have seen a few previews for 10,000 BC now, and while the visuals are compelling, I'm bothered by the fact that there is absolutely no plot or dialogue in the trailers. That is usually a very bad sign. Coming Soon has a plot summary, but it is still not convincing. The other troubling thing to me is that the trailer shows the pyramids of Giza, which everyone should know that the generally accepted date for their construction is 2,560 BC. I know a lot of people don't care about details like that, or that there weren't actually enormous saber tooth tigers in Egypt, but they bother me. It becomes more difficult to suspend my disbelief when there are gross historical inaccuracies. I can deal with a little creative license, but when they are off by 7,000 years on something, it ceases to be creative license. They may as well throw in the Eiffel Tower and the Space Needle at that point.

So, despite the fact that it just looks damn cool, I remain very skeptical and my gut tells me it will be nearly unwatchable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not totally convinced humans have even been around that long, let alone some structures in Egypt.

Lyndsay said...

You're right the previews remind me of Mel Gibson's movie Apocalypto (sp). I never saw it and probably never will because it looked totally lame.

Unknown said...

I actually really liked Apocalypto. Are you trying to convince me that 10,000 BC will be good?

And 10,000 BC would definitely be pre flood. I did a quick google search and the estimated flood dates vary widely, but I couldn't find any older than 5,000 BC. So any Egyptian structures that would have been around would have water damage. And maybe at a later date I'll throw up a post about the Sphynx possibly being pre-flood, but the pyramids definitely aren't.