Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Scooby Doo Effect

Yes I coined that term and I'm proud of it. It is a term used to describe a show that you loved as a kid, but when you saw it as an adult it turned out it's so bad that you're embarrassed to admit that you ever watched it. This first occurred to me while watching Scooby Doo, hence the name. Feel free to use and promote this term. I need the royalties.

Anyway, it got me thinking, what shows on television today will we look back on in 20 years and think they were stupid? I think Lost will probably be in that category. Heroes will probably stand the test of time. The Sopranos will still be around, but Sex In The City will be laughed at.

In general, I think anything that involves a lot of pop culture references will quickly be dated. For that reason I'm still on the fence regarding the Simpsons. It's loaded with pop culture references, but at the same time, episodes from 15 years ago are still in heavy rotation. I also think that once cyborgs finally do subdue the human race, the Terminator tv show will see a dramatic drop in the ratings.

3 comments:

W&MGrad said...

Seinfeld....

Lyndsay said...

Saved By The Bell - Definitely!

Anonymous said...

Seinfeld I didn't like the first time around.....

I liked Friends, but I'm wondering if that series would have the same popularity in a few years.