Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Maybe You've Noticed

It's damn cold outside. The kind of cold weather that makes complete strangers tell you how cold it is. It's also the kind of cold that makes people from other parts of the country tell you all about what cold really is. Which brings me to my real point.

We've got a lot of people in the area that have moved here from somewhere else. Why is it that they all have to talk about how much better things are where they came from. How many times have you heard things like:

You call this cold?
You call this snow?
This isn't real pizza.
This isn't a bagel.
You guys don't know what traffic really is.

And so on. Why do people come here if all they do is talk about how much better things were where they came from? Is is just part of the human condition? The grass is always greener on the other side syndrome? Is it simple one upsmanship (yest that's a real word)? Is it that we remember things as better than they really were?

Maybe I'll have to move to some small town where everyone there has lived there for their entire lives and don't have any point of reference to compare it to. Or maybe I should just punch people who say things like that. Except that then they would just say 'you call that a punch'? Maybe there is no answer other than just learning to tolerate it.

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I think people just like to remember the good times and our minds just casually forget the bad. How else would the world continue to repopulate!

Unknown said...

So, would I then be happier if I dwelled entirely in the past and did my best to not acknowledge that present or future? I think I could make that adjustment.

Anonymous said...

I think that small town where people live there their whole life is called Poulsbo, and you kind of did live there for several years of your life.....

Ok. Maybe with the Navy there's a lot of people moving. Ok, how about Port Angeles, I don't think those hicks get out much. Seems like a lot of inbreading going on there for sure.......