Friday, January 25, 2008

Fighting Shows

I really like Human Weapon and the new copy cat show Fight Quest. I really like to see different fighting styles. I think it would be really cool to be able to travel the world myself and train in different fighting styles, but getting to watch someone else do it is the next best thing.

There are a couple things that bother me though. Some of the training is just so ridiculous that I think it's entirely based on bravado. Seeing how much crazy ass nonsense you will put up with. What can really be gained by swinging knives at each other at the top of a volcano while breathing toxic fumes? How much does punching trees or breaking blocks of ice with your head really improve you?

The other thing is that I would like to see how some of these martial artists would do against a different fighting style. I understand that the point of the show is to learn the different styles, and to do so they must fight in that style. But what I would suggest to the producers is that since both shows send out 2 guys, they should have one guy fight in the style they are learning, and the other guy fight by combining everything he's learned from other arts. I see a lot of styles that don't strike to the head and so the practitioners have their hands down around their waists. What would they do if they had to throw on some head gear and fight against a boxer?

Both shows have featured Savate. It may be an effective art, but leave it to the French to create the gayest looking art there is. Those guys just look like a bunch of dandies.

Even though Human Weapon came out first, it always seems like their opponents are taking it easy on them. The guys in Fight Quest really take a serious beating. I have to respect that. It is a 100% all out brawl on that show.

I'm still waiting for one of the shows to go learn Capoiera. That is a very interesting art. The practitioners are very athletic, but I'd like to see how they would do in a mixed martial art fight.

So far the fighting styles I have liked the most are Kyokushin Karate (no surprise there), Krav Maga, Sambo (Russian martial art), and good old fashioned boxing. I really couldn't care less about Ju Jitsu or really most of the other grappling arts. Rolling around with a sweaty dude just doesn't interest me. Plus it's just not interesting to watch, which is one of the reasons I've never gotten into watching ultimate fighting. Since watching these shows, I've decided that I want to take some boxing lessons.

If you haven't watched either show yet, do yourself a favor and tune in the next time one of them is on. I'd tell you when they are on, but my DVR knows so I don't have to.

No comments: