Monday, January 01, 2007

Nuclear weapons

I came across this article in the Kitsap Sun today. Apparently, according to the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (I've never heard of that group so I don't know how credible they are), one quarter of the US nuclear arsenal is sitting in the Naval base at Bangor. Now, for those of you not familiar with Bangor, it is situated on the Kitsap Peninsula, between the cities of Poulsbo and Silverdale, about 20 miles from downtown Seattle.

I guess I don't really have a point here. I just thought it was interesting. It kind of makes you proud, and concerned at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I knew those Trident subs packed a healthy arsenal, but 1/4 of our nuclear inventory seems high. I'm wondering if their numbers are rigged by counting the number of subs based out of Bangor that aren't necessarily in dock but out patrolling the seas 'Crimson Tide' style...technically, those subs are housed at Bangor, but they aren't all at the base at the same time.

This just further proves that Kitsap County is the center of the universe.