Friday, January 19, 2007

Jeff Samardzija signs with the Cubs

In a move that I find very surprising, Notre Dame star wide receiver Jeff Samardzija decided to sign with the Chicago Cubs reportedly for 5 years $10 million. Since he was going to be a first round pick in the NFL draft in April where he would make a lot more money, this is surprising news to me. Even more surprising is that he sounds like he's not interested in being a 2 sport athlete like Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. He's just planning on playing baseball. Maybe my love of football is clouding my perspective on things, but this is a real shock to me. Maybe like Drew Henson, he'll play a few years of minor league ball and decide he's never going to make it to the big leagues and turn back to football. Who knows. It's kind of a shame to see such a talented player completely give up football though.

No comments: