Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

I finally got around to seeing Pirates 2. I actually think it was ok, and undeserving of all the bad reviews I saw. That being said, it wasn't without it's problems. The special effects were overdone, and the action scenes were over the top. I think they could easily cut 30-40 minutes of that fluff out and just have stuck to the story and it would have been better. Some of the action scenes dragged on so long that I kept looking at my watch waiting for them to get over.

I read a lot of reviews complaining that the plot was confusing and disjointed. I didn't really think that was a problem. The only thing I found that made it hard to follow was that it was continually being interrupted by the afore mentioned action and special effects sequence. I was actually pleasantly surprised by a darker plot than the original. While that does make it less appealing to kids and my mom, I appreciate a little more terror being added to the pirates. I think pirates are supposed to be scary, not goofy. There were a couple recycled jokes, which always irritates me with sequels, but I've come to expect it.

That brings me to Davey Jones. This is one really cool looking character, but there is just something about the actor that plays him, Bill Nighy, that bothers me. Even through all of the prosthetics and make up and special effects, his mannerisms still came through clearly. Every scene of his reminded me of his character in Underworld, which also irritated me a little.





My only other complaints are that Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom's parts were cut down too much and the movie focused too much on Johnny Depp. Now I don't feel that 5 stars is enough for me to rate a movie on, so I will be using a 10 star system. I found this to be a flawed, yet enjoyable movie that is good if you're not looking for serious cinema, and so I will give it 6 stars.

No comments: