Sunday, October 07, 2007

Upconverting DVD Players

Lately I've been intrigued by the phenomenon of upconverting DVD players. Basically they take a standard DVD and convert it to an HD signal for your HD TV. I've seen some reviews that suggest I can't live without one of these in my home theater, but I'm not entirely convinced. Has anyone out there seen one of these in action? Are they as great as advertised? Are they worth the price, or am I better off saving up for an HD DVD player? Do they make HD DVD players that upscale standard DVDs? Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an upconverting Samsung DVD player connected to the big TV upstairs. It's pretty sweet. It takes a DVD that is normally 420p res and upconverts to 720p, which is considered hi-def. I've been really happy with it and don't plan on buying a true HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.