Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Comcast Blows

I'm sure I've said this before, but Comcast has absolutely the worst customer service in the world. Every time I have to deal with them they piss me off. I don't want to rehash any old material, so I'll stick with the latest episode.

They have been advertising the Showtime free preview weekend that was supposed to be last weekend. Well, when the weekend arrived, I didn't have any Showtime. I sent an email off to them asking what the deal was and about 14-16 hours later got a response telling me that I had to go to the Showtime section of On Demand. Well, as politely as I could, I responded that if they had read my email, they would have seen that I said I tried that already and just received a message telling me to call Comcast to order Showtime. Several hours later I received a short response that said that they didn't know enough details to resolve the issue. No questions asking for specific details. No offer to help work it out. Not even a number to call for further assistance. Basically an email version of giving me the finger.

Well, as you can imagine, this immediately pissed me off. My first inclination was to call them up and complain, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that spending 5 minutes pushing buttons on the phone before I got to an actual person would only make things worse, and verbally abusing some poor phone jockey wouldn't really make me feel any better. At least not in the long run. Sure I'd get some temporary satisfaction, but I would feel guilty later. And by this time the weekend was almost over anyway, so I let it go.

At this point, I'm still considering sending off an email telling them that they have piss poor customer service, but I really don't think it will do any good. I can tell you from experience that I still think back fondly on the day I received a letter from a customer with just one thing to say: Safeco blows. That really made my whole week, so I know telling off Comcast isn't going to do any good either. The other option is to vote with my wallet and go to direct tv/dsl, but I really don't like direct tv, I'd have to pay more to get the HD channels, and I don't want the hassle of switching to dsl and having to change my email address. I don't know if there is really any option left for me but to downgrade my service so that at least I'm not giving them as much money. And perhaps if I emailed in the request in conjunction with a note saying how dis-satisfied I am with their service, it might actually get something accomplished. Probably not, but it's possible.

If anybody else has any better suggestions, I'd like to hear them. Until then, I'll rant away.

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

When you call in and threaten to cancel your service or even downsize what you have I've had pretty good luck with getting good deals.

The only real complaint I have about them is they sent an idiot to our house to install the cable hook ups in bedrooms where there wasn't one already. Granted it wasn't really a Comcast worker it was a company they subcontracted to, but that's just makes me more angry to think about.

Anonymous said...

Lyndsay is spot on - call and threaten to switch to DirecTV and they will cut your rate substantially for a few months while upgrading your service. You'll have so many movie channels it will make you puke.

Personally, I switched from Comcast to DirecTV years ago - I couldn't deal with Comcast's ineptness or the crazy ass and sometimes drunk contractors they sent out for service calls. I've had nothing but good times with DTV, mainly because of NFL Sunday Ticket, but also because they are on top of their game when it comes to service requests.

Unknown said...

This is why I tell everyone, DISH Network is rated the #1 in customer satisfaction. I actually work at DISH and they are offering new customers up to three HD receivers for free. Plus you can also use the HD free for life promotion to upgrade your channels to HD for no additional cost on your bill. DISH is definitely the best choice for TV, especially HD.