Friday, October 12, 2007

Bioshock

I just played the demo of Bioshock and I would have to describe it as super cool. Set in a 50's era undersea utopia, it is now filled with mutants and monsters, the result of unethical medical experiments gone awry. The demo wasn't very long, so it was hard to get a good feel for the gameplay, but what I saw I liked. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and the atmosphere is really creepy. It was like stepping into a Steven King novel.

The real novelty of the game is that you can find "plasmids" - injections that will manipulate your genes and give you super powers. I found the electricity plasmid that allowed me to shoot bolts of lightening from my hands like the emperor. I also found the incinerate plasmid which allowed me to set enemies on fire. I saw a short video that said there were also teleportation and telekinesis plasmids and others.

After playing the demo, I'm dying to play more. I just hope the rest of the game is as good as the beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothin' like a game where you blast those foolish Jedi with those wild Emperor skills.

You should have tried Knights of the Old Republic. You can choose to turn to the dark side and develop said shock skills.