Monday, February 19, 2007

Thank you presidents

......for the day off today. As I rolled out of bed at about 9:30 this morning, I have never been more proud to be an American. If we had a king, I wouldn't have had the day off today. In honor of said presidents, enjoy this historical ranking of the presidents brought to you by wikipedia. In all of the various polls that are referenced, Abe Lincoln, George Washington and FDR consistently rank in the top 3. For the most part, I would agree with that, however, I'm not sure I would put Lincoln that high. I still think that the Civil War possibly could have been avoided with a little more diplomacy on his part. I wouldn't be surprised to get some argument on this however, so feel free to let me have it.

On a completely unrelated topic, I caught the end of Planet of the Apes this morning and realized that it is terribly dated and, in general, a pretty bad movie. I do recall a few years ago seeing a Planet of the Apes marathon, if I remember right, it was about the time of the theatrical release of the remake which, by the way, was bad too. Anyway, each successive movie was worse than the one before it. I think I watched 3 of them and was nearly ready to kill myself after that third one.

In other movie news, I watched Saw 3 and Invincible this weekend. Saw 3 was a horrendous money grab. I really liked the first Saw, however both sequels were bad. 3 was pretty much devoid of any story or creativity. It seemed to me to be trying to outdo the previous movies by throwing in more gore and generally disgusting scenes instead of working on the script. Invincible, however, I really enjoyed. It was a very inspiring story of a substitute teacher/bartender walking on and getting a job with the Philadelphia Eagles after open tryouts. I am not a fan of Mark Wahlberg, but he won me over with his portrayal of the humble, yet hard working Vince Papale. The movie gives hope to all the pitiful wanna be's like myself who wonder if they could actually make an NFL roster if given a chance. I have finally made peace with the realization that I never was as good an athlete as I thought I was, but Invincible let me forget that for a short period of time.

Speaking of football glory, my flag football team won despite a pretty poor performance by myself, improving our record to 4-1. I think this may be the season that we win the championship. And I want to thank the rest of the team for playing some great defense and really bailing me out.

And once again, this rambling, aimless post was made possible today by our presidents. Thank you presidents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning about Saw 3. I too really enjoyed the first movie, but was disappointed by the second. I had Invinsible in my hands yesterday at the movie store and then changed my mind and got The Black Dahlia instead. MISTAKE!

Devon said...

You have no idea what you're talking about. Planet oof the Apes kicks so much ass it's not even worth mentioning. It's so awesome in fact, that I'm only going to refer to it as "Planet."

You'll be wise to go along with that.