Saturday, February 17, 2007

GM to buy Chrysler?

According to this article from the Detroit News, it's a possibility. Since I have a brother in the auto industry, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I was unaware that Chrysler was in such bad shape that they are seriously considering selling off their assets. I was also unaware that GM was in good enough shape to acquire Chrysler. The last stories I had read about GM said that they were laying people off left and right and fearful of bankruptcy. At least one of the big 3 US auto makers has turned things around.

Which brings me to this article. Apparently Ford's 'way forward' isn't working as January retail sales were down 10,600 vehicles from their goal. They are not meeting other goals either, and employee confidence in the company is way down. Not a good sign. The lone bright spot appears to be the success of the Ford Edge and Lincoln MK X.

In fact, times are so bad in Michigan right now, that one Farmington Hills man's idea of a practical joke is to put a 6 foot boa constrictor in his mailbox to scare the mailman. He could find himself laughing it up in prison for the next 6 months.

The point to all of this? We need to find John a job in the Seattle area and rescue him from Michigan. If you know of anybody hiring mechanical engineers, or are hiring one yourself, let me know.

No comments: