Thursday, February 08, 2007

100th Post Spectacular!

That's right, I'm already up to my 100th post, and at least 6 of them have been interesting. In honor of this meaningless milestone, I am going to write the longest, most pointless, most wandering post to date. So I'm going to start this off with a Homer Simpson quote: "trying is the first step toward failure." Words I live my life by.

Right now, 2 things and 2 things alone are giving me the will to live. First, one of the greatest bands in the world - Sevendust - has a new album - Alpha - coming out on March 6th. For those of you who are good at math, that's less than a month away. I strongly urge you to listen to the 2 full length songs you can hear here. The only other thing I have to look forward to is the wonderful news I just heard yesterday - Sevendust is coming to Seattle on march 24th. I'm really looking forward to that, and most likely won't be able to hear anything for 3 days afterward.

Has anyone else noticed the stupid 'the way I see it' nonsense that Starbucks decided to put on the side of their cups? Well, if you haven't, they are short bits of ridiculous attempted philosophy that people can submit on the web site. These stupid musings irritate me to no end, and the only solace I have is that I can cover half of it up with one of those sleeves. I actually went on the Starbucks web site one day and submitted my own that said: The way I see it, coffee cups should contain coffee, not pseudo-philosophical nonsense from people with too much time on their hands. I haven't seen that on a cup yet.

After all the news that Eddie Van Halen's son will be playing bass on the upcoming tour (link courtesy of Grande Pescadoes), I got to thinking, who is the most talented child of a celebrity to date? I haven't actually heard Wolfgang Van Halen play, so all I know about him is he's goofy looking. But I am sure he's more talented than Kelly Osbourne, either Hilton Sister, or Nicole Richie. My first thought is it must be either Kate Hudson or Jamie Lee Curtis. Freddie Prinze Jr is a doofus. I guess that's all that I can come up with off the top of my head. Oh, how could I forget about the sports world. Maybe Ken Griffey Jr or Peyton Manning would win that contest.

I have some noise cancelling headphones that I wear at work. While I like them - the sound quality is tolerable and they are reasonably comfortable - they don't cancel as much noise as I would like. Since I got them for about $35, I can't complain too much - they do deliver a lot of bang for the buck, but I can't help wondering if some more expensive headphones would do a better job. Or at least look a little cooler. I did take them on the plane with me and will say that they were fantastic at reducing the irritating engine noise.

I just found out today that Anna Nicole Smith died at the age of 39. I assume drugs were involved, but as of yet, the cause of death is still unknown. And since her son died earlier this year, I'm not sure who will inherit the millions she conned out of that wrinkled old billionaire. I wish I was a billionaire.

Which leads me to the fast approaching Valentine's Day. Once again it looks like poor old Scott will stick with the annual tradition of sitting alone in the dark, curled up in a ball with a bucket of ice cream, weeping softly. At one time I thought Valentine's Day was invented to sell cards, flowers, and candy, and to force men to see chick flicks, but now I believe it was invented solely to mock all the dateless losers of the world like me (and Shelvis). Maybe this year I'll split the ice cream with Shelvis. I'm sure he's at least good for a hug.

Apparently Lost came back from hiatus last night. I have been hooked by Lost, but have a difficult time keeping up with serial tv shows since I seem to have a difficult time making sure I'm home at the same time on certain days of the week. Point being, I missed Lost, which isn't a big deal for 2 reasons. 1: I can't remember what happened leading up to this episode since it's been off the air for so long. 2: the good folks at ABC are kind enough to make recent episodes available online which is the only way I've been able to keep up with what's going on in the show.

National signing day was yesterday, and the analysts at ESPN are giving the UW a B- for their recruiting class. I was hoping for better, but I guess that will have to do. Hopefully it's at least enough to get them over .500 this year.

Washington:
B-
Washington has now posted back-to-back impressive classes, and the Huskies
did a nice job adding depth across the board. TE
Chris
Izbicki
(Kirkland, Wash./Lake Washington) is one of the most well-rounded
tight ends in this class. It bolstered its run defense with DE
Emeka
Iweka
(Seattle, Wash./Rainier Beach) and DT
spn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=41509">Nick Wood
(Poway, Calif.), both of whom have great upside but we feel would benefit from
redshirting. For the second year in a row, the Huskies have gotten a very nice
addition at QB in
Ronnie
Fouch
(Redlands, Calif./East Valley) to go along with Class of '06 QB Jake
Locker
. Scatback
ider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=36805">Brandon
Johnson (Compton, Calif./Dominguez) is one to keep an eye on down the road.


I was interested by an article in the latest issue of ESPN the Magazine regarding new ways to keep your body in top shape. I was particularly interested in the new bone grafting method called Infuse which dramatically reduces recovery time for broken bones, using silk to repair torn ACL's, and most importantly, finding out that eating Sports Beans (made by Jelly Belly) is more effective at replenishing electrolytes and vitamins than any sports drinks or good old water.

I'm tired of winter already. I'm ready for some warm weather.

I'm still intrigued by the story of the crazy astronaut who drove 900 miles to attempt to kidnap a woman who she thought was a rival for the affections of a fellow astronaut. How would you like to be stuck in space with her?

Dumb Bears fan Scott Wiese is legally changing his name to Peyton Manning after losing a Superbowl bet. I'm sure alcohol was involved.

The flavor we think of as bubble gum is a combination of wintergreen, vanilla, and cassia (a form of cinnamon).

Wedding cake was originally thrown at the bride and groom instead of being eaten by them.

I watched the movie Flyboys last night and was very disappointed. And I wasn't expceting much from it either.

I can't help thinking that life would be much easier with a helper monkey.

Ok, I think I've rambled sufficiently. I'm going to call that good for now. Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! I say screw the ice cream on valentines day. Lets get a prostitute. My treat. I checked her out myself last week and I'm healthy as a horse. Not a drip.
Shelvis

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100th post! This is akin to when 'The Facts Of Life' shot their 100th episode and shelvis shot his 100th wad to the image of a rapidly developing Tuti.

Anyhoo, rumor has it that Michael Anthony was more or less disowned by the Van Halen bros for touring with Sammy Hagar. Not sure how much truth there is to that rumor, but I wouldn't past Ed and Alex to carry that kind of ridiculous grudge....