Thursday, February 15, 2007

Daylight Savings Time Rant

I know it's starting early, but then again, so is daylight savings time this year. It's been on my mind today since IT sent out some patch that's supposed to adjust the clocks to the new and improved daylight savings time. To this day, I don't know what the point is. I've heard that it's supposed to save energy, but I don't know how. What I do know is that statistics have shown that every year when you have to change your clocks, traffic accidents increase by about 10%. I haven't run across any stats on energy usage however. I've also heard a theory that it is somehow supposed to benefit farmers, but from what I understand, farmers schedule their day around sunrise and sunset, not the clock. So what is it good for then, other than pissing me off twice a year? Nothing, that's what. It's just a pointless exercise in screwing up everyone's schedule. If the person that came up with the idea was still alive today, I'd kill him (or her). Maybe I should just move to one of those states that doesn't recognize daylight savings time. The only problem right now though is that the only state I know of that doesn't is Arizona, and I don't want to live there. I can't figure out why anyone would want to live in the desert, but that's a rant for another day. You can also look forward to my upcoming Acadamy Awards rant, unless I already missed the awards. I don't think so though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Benjamin Franklin came up with it. I read an article about it once. It was pretty interesting, but I agree with you I don't think it really does any good now. They should just keep it one way and call it good.

Unknown said...

Ok, you're officially back in my good graces now Lyndsay. Unfortunately, Ben Franklin no longer is.