Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Shodan

Today after work I headed down to the dojo for class as I often do on Tuesdays. What made this class different than normal was that at the end, my Sensei called me and one other student up in front of the class, slapped black belts on both of us, went through a short ceremony, and promoted both of us to the grade of shodan. Shortly afterward, he told us it was an April fool's joke.

Now I never believed for a minute that he was serious, but I will give him credit for a first rate April fool's joke. That's one of the best one's I've seen in quite a while. In retrospect, I should have grabbed the belt and run before he had a chance to take it back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So for us who don't know. What does the grade level of Shodan mean?

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. He must be the coolest Sensei around.

Unknown said...

Shodan is the first black belt rank.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shodan