Friday, April 25, 2008

Draft Predictions

I've put this off long enough and can't put if off anymore. It's time for my annual draft predictions. It's always difficult to predict who the Seahawks will get when they have such a late pick, there's no telling who will still be available. But I've got a reputation to uphold. Remember, I predicted Kelly Jennings 2 years ago, and I was off by a round last year, but correctly predicted they would draft Brandon Mebane. So here goes:

Prediction #1: The Dolphins will draft Jake Long. Sure it would be hilarious if all of this talk that they had already reached a deal with him was all a ruse. Seeing them get up tomorrow and hand Roger Goodell a card with somebody else's name on it, and the ensuing scrambling by all of the other teams and analysts would be awesome, but doesn't seem likely.

Prediction #2: The Seahawks will draft Kentwan Balmer, DT from North Carolina with their first selection. With Chuck Darby leaving in the off season, Marcus Tubbs looking like a bust, and Rocky Bernard getting himself in trouble, it looks like DT is the position of need. Depth at DE is also a need, but I think after the top couple of guys, anybody else would be a reach. Field Gulls made a convincing argument for Sam Baker, and he may be a Tim Ruskell type guy, but I just don't see this pick happening.

Prediction #3: A lot of people are predicting the Seahawks will draft Dustin Keller, TE from Purdue in the first round. All of these people are wrong. Keller is a poor mans Shannon Sharpe, and is over-rated due to a strong combine. I predict he will be a bust.

Prediction #4: The Seahawks will fill their TE needs in the second round with John Carlson from Notre Dame. Sure I hate ND and he's kind of goofy looking, but I think he's the most well rounded TE available, will fit the Seahawks needs very well, and will still be available for their second pick. Martellus Bennett is another possibility here.

Prediction #5: Rashard Mendenhall, whom you all already know I have a man crush on, will be drafted by the Cardinals just so he can punish us twice a year.

Prediction #6: On day 2 of the draft, the Seahawks will draft Chauncey Washington, RB from USC and Dennis Dixon, QB from Oregon. I've already given you the sales pitch on Dixon, but the Washington pick I have to admit I was talked into by Field Gulls. Now I can't wait to see him in a Seahawks uniform.

Prediction #7: Both the Raiders and Cowboys will make a couple of really head scratching moves. I'm still not convinced that the Cowboys won't mortgage the farm to pick up Darren McFadden, and they may well work out some kind of deal with the Raiders before the day is up. Also, expect one of these teams, most likely the Cowboys, to draft Marcus Dixon, a talented DE who has served 15 months in prison for aggravated child molestation and statutory rape.

And I think I'll stop there with my predictions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on 1/3/4. Wrong on 2/5/6/7. Real good Scotty!

I don't think the Raiders and Cowboys didn't screw up too bad for a change. You should have had Detroit screwing up again, as they're becoming the perennial whipping boys of NFL draft day.

Pat