Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chapman Stick

I have been increasingly fascinated by the Chapman Stick recently. Half guitar, half bass, and half piano, it is incredible what can be done with it in trained hands. It's got 10 strings, and you don't play like any other instrument. Everything is done by tapping the strings, and two different parts can be played simultaneously.

This is clearly way too complicated for me. I can barely handle 6 stings, but I still have the itch to give it a try. If you own one, let me know. I think the thing is exceptionally cool. Playing a different melody with each hand seems impossible to me. I guess that's why I was never able to pick up the piano. Some of these guys really make it look easy though.

Please take the time to watch the two videos below. I think the second one will probably be more of a crowd pleaser. And if you just search for Chapman Stick on youtube, you can find an abundance of cool videos of the stick in action.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's crazy