Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Liberty Mutual

I arrived at work this morning to the news that I am now a Liberty Mutual employee. As I'm sure most of you have already heard, Safeco was sold to Liberty Mutual today. I don't yet know how this will effect me, but it did make for one unusual day. This was punctuated by one of the most bizarre speeches I've ever heard, delivered by CEO Paula Reynolds. I'll see if I can't get some audio or at least direct quotes later, because I can't do justice trying to relay it from memory.

My first impression is that this is sad news, since we are essentially losing another local company with a long (85 years) history in the area. The other impression is that this will be an improvement for any employees that remain with the company. Not because I know anything about Liberty Mutual, but because I have become so disillusioned with the Safeco leadership that I think anything will be an improvement. I think the current leadership is dishonest, and has made some questionable business decisions for short term gain to justify exorbitant executive salaries.

I will avoid saying more at this time, but at this point I'm thinking it's time to polish up my resume. I'm not really interested in going through the transitionary period, and I'm also tired of commuting to Seattle every day. I want to find a job on the east side again. If anybody knows of any good jobs available on the east side, let me know.

No comments: