Tuesday, April 22, 2008

In The News

There are all kinds of interesting news items today. To start with, someone has come up with an algorithm that will increase your learning power and intelligence. The idea being that when you learn something and don't use it, you will forget it, however, reminding yourself of what you learned too soon will wasted time. So theoretically there is an optimum time for you to review and use information that you have learned. This algorithm will calculate this time and set up electronic reminders for you. Sounds good in theory, but I'll have to do some of my own research.

The related story debunking Intelligence Myths claims that doing crossword puzzles, eating fish, and taking supplements don't have any impact on your intelligence.

Next up is that Danish company that claims to be able to create plastics out of pig urine. Ideally these plastics would not be formed into forks, spoons, or sporks. But for the people who drink coffee made from beans extracted from cat poo, this surely won't be a problem. I'd prefer to not place either of those items in my mouth.

And finally, I learned today that the marshmallow was originally made from the root of the marshmallow plant. And the root extract was also used to sooth sore throats. Who knew? This completely changes my views on house plants, and I may have to see where I can find a marshmallow bush. Is that something typically carried by local nurseries?

No comments: