Saturday, April 19, 2008

Holy Diver

Do you ever have one of those songs that you don't really like the first time you hear it, but over time it really starts growing on you? For me that song has been Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage.

I never really cared much for the original Dio version, so I wasn't thrilled with the cover to begin with. I keep hearing it on the radio though, and this version has more edge to it than the original, and I really like the vocals a lot better in this one. I don't know the name of the Killswitch singer, but he does a great job except for the couple of short bits where he's screaming. I'm going to have to look up his name.

Having now seen the video, I love this even more. This is 100% pure, unabashed cheese. I haven't seen something this cheesy since the days of Def Leppard and Journey. And if you haven't seen the videos for Rock of Ages or Separate Ways, what's wrong with you???? Go look them up now! Getting back to the Holy Diver video though, how can you not love a video with a castle, knights in full armor, sorcerers, and a bald drummer with a beard so impressive you'd think he was a ZZ Top cast off. I swear it looks like he's trying for the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest beard of bees.

And now I'm really in the mood to look up more cheesy videos. Maybe if you are all very good, I'll post the Safety Dance, or Oh Sherry later in the week. Or possibly even one of my all time favorites: Come On Eileen. I am now officially taking requests.

I just did my research, and apparently the Killswitch front man is Howard Jones. No, not that Howard Jones. But feel free to vote for No One Is To Blame, The Prisoner, Things Can Only Get Better, or any of his other singles.

No comments: