Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dennis Dixon

I'm going to start making my case for the Seahawks to draft Dennis Dixon. After reading the Sports Illustrated article about him and how far he's come in such a short time from his knee injury, I think he's the guy for the Seahawks. I will concede that he is a little unpolished and needs a lot of work, and will not be able to play for quite a while because of his knee, but I think those things play right into the Seahawks plans.

Being a Duck makes it difficult for me to give him my endorsement, but America is all about second chances, and I am willing to offer him a chance to atone for his poor choice in universities. So the rest of you Oregon haters, hear me out. He has all of the physical tools to succeed in the NFL, but I am not one to become enamored with a guy because of his 40 time or how far he can throw a football. I'm all about how you perform on the field, and Dixon has shown me a lot. Consider this, before his injury, he was a Heisman candidate (luckily he didn't win since that's the kiss of death for QB's) and Oregon was in the national title hunt. As soon as he got hurt, they couldn't win another game. Add to that a 67% completion rate, and I'm pretty impressed.

I think if he was healthy, he would be considered a first round talent, but SI projects him as a 4th rounder, and the NFL Draft Countdown, a site I've found to be very reliable and informative, has him listed as a late round pick, possibly falling out of the draft all together. So I think that anything 4th round or later is a bargain. The Seahawks don't need him to come in and produce for a couple years, and can groom him for a couple years before Matt Hasselbeck retires. It's a perfect situation.

Still not convinced? Check out Dennis' web site and let him tell you himself.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

oh man. I got two words for you:
Akili Smith...
Don't waste a pick on this Dixon! sign Charlie Frye to a long term deal and we're good at QB for ten years.
Shawn

Unknown said...

And you can honestly tell me you wouldn't have taken a chance on Akili Smith with a 2nd day pick? I'm telling you, it's worth the gamble. I think he's got a lot of potential and we aren't really risking anything with a low pick.

And Charlie Frye will never set foot on the field in a regular season game. I've got two words for you about him: David Klingler.

Shawn said...

a day 2 pick would not hurt me. I'll give you that. However I guarantee you this guy will fail. I would not have been so hard on him before that catastrophic knee injury. I don't believe a word of his agent's "rehab is going great" propaganda...that is just called desperation.

Unknown said...

I saw some of the video on his web site, and he's looking pretty good for how long its been. And I'm not really worried about how fast he rehabs anyway since we just need him to hold a clip board for a couple seasons.