Friday, March 28, 2008

Twilight Zone

Today was a weird day for a lot of reasons, but it was capped by an experience so mind boggling that I started looking around for a hidden camera. I had great difficulty wrapping my mind around just what exactly was happening. I actually received an email asking for my email address.

After reading the email several times to make sure that's what he was really asking for, I concluded that he must be asking for a specific email that I had contacted him about, and so I forwarded said email to him. It turns out, that wasn't what he wanted as I got a reply that he wanted my email address. Naturally, I responded with 'what do you mean? This is my email address that you're emailing me at right now.' To that, I received yet another baffling response. He told me that he needed to forward me a document, but didn't have my email address because he was just replying to an email I had sent him.

Why he couldn't just attach the document to the email he had just sent me? Why couldn't he just click on my name in the from field and get my email that way? Why couldn't he figure out my email address since my company assigns email addresses by using the first 3 letters of your first name and the first 3 letters of your last name? Yes, this was a fellow employee. What's worse, he is a senior sales pro, not a new employee.

I guess I know why our sales were down this year. If our senior sales professionals are unable to unravel the mysteries of this new fangled interweb thing, how can they possibly sell insurance? This had a seriously negative impact on my productivity that afternoon. Luckily one co-worker brought me back to reality by recommending that I call him and ask him for his phone number - a quality joke.

Like I said, here it is hours later, and I'm still coming to grips with the fact that this actually happened. And I've experienced a fair amount of strange things in my lifetime.

No comments: