Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Anger Rising

I think I have finally calmed down enough to rationally discuss this without erupting into a venomous, profanity laden tyrade.

When last we left off, the bastards at FedEx were supposed to deliver my repaired Xbox 360 to me sometime after 6:00 on Monday. I'm sure you've guessed by now that things didn't go as promised. When I got home from work, I found yet another tag on my door, this one stating that they came by at 10:30 am. Somewhat earlier than I had been promised.

The next step for me was to once again call up FedEx and argue with some worthless lackey for 15 or 20 minutes. No, they couldn't leave it at the condo office. No they couldn't deliver it to me at my office during the day. No, they couldn't deliver it to one of the more conveniently located FedEx/Kinkos locations for me to pick up at a more convenient time. At one point she told me that they could deliver the package after 6 the next day, and that was absolutely the wrong move. I nearly lost it at this point and demanded to speak to her supervisor. When nobody answered the phone, I hung up and started on plan B.

The next call was to Microsoft. Since the liars at FedEx told me that only way to deliver it somewhere else was to call the shipper and either have them remove the requirement for a signature, or for them to change the shipping address. Well, after half an hour on the phone with MS, I was informed that once the package left their hands, they were unable to change anything. I made sure to express my extreme dissatisfaction with FedEx in the vain hope that if enough people complain, then they will switch to another shipper in the future.

Back to FedEx for me to argue with another phone jockey for another 10 minutes or so. Again to no avail. At this point I told them to just send it back.

Tuesday I had a voice mail waiting for me that I needed to pick up my package at the warehouse or they would ship it back. Unlike the previous 3 people I'd talked to who said that the warehouse was only open until 6, making it impossible for me to get there in time, the guy who works at the warehouse said they are open until 9. That's when he dropped the next little gem on me: I had to drive to Auburn.

I was not happy about having to make that drive, but when the alternative was to wait another 3 weeks for my 360 to get shipped back to Texas, and then back to me again, only to go through the same thing, I hopped in the car. Of course there was an accident of 405 slowing things down, and then construction on 167 impeding my progress, but I eventually made it there. When I walked in, I found 2 other people waiting for their packages, complaining that FedEx wouldn't deliver to them. Surprise, surprise. One of the guys also had a 360, and the other a Dell PC. And of course, the couldn't just give me my package, and they made me wait at least 15 minutes before I finally went on my merry way.

Everything about dealing with FedEx, they were just figuratively giving me the finger. They have some of the worst customer service I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. You would think that picking up a box at one place and taking it to another wouldn't be such a big problem. You would be wrong.

But wait, there's more! I unpacked my 360, plugged it in, and immediately found that it still has the exact same problem as before. Nothing has changed. Now MS is on the list as well.

And to top it all off, when I got home today, there was another FedEx tag on my door. Apparently the company I bought my new PC from shipped it through these jackasses as well. The only way this can end at this point is a bloody shootout. I'll see you on the 11:00 news one night soon.

Through this all, one song has repeatedly been running through my head: the Jerry Cantrell song Anger Rising.


7 comments:

Devon said...

you poor poor little fool. one of these days i will explain the way the system works to you. oh no, it's not complicated... the vast majority of people seem to be able to figure it out just fine. it's just those special few who seem to think the world spins at their request that we seem to have problems with.

but now im off to deliver heavy things to lazy people who can't find it in themselves to live another day without their dell laptops, verizon cell phones, and (yep you guessed it) precious precious xboxs.

Unknown said...

I understand how it works. Those lazy motherfu%$@% will do anything to get out of having to deliver a package. Fedex is completely inflexible and their customer service is abysmal.

By the way, I owe you a kick in the middle.

Anonymous said...

When I was going through my Xbox horror story, I was dealing with UPS. Luckily, their main warehouse is just south of Redmond. I remember getting really frustrated with the delivery times. I ended up having my sister stay at our house to sign for the package.

Unknown said...

So did MS ever actually repair your 360? Is there an option for me to upgrade to an elite and get rid of this one they either can't or won't fix?

I've never had a problem with UPS. And you're just lucky you could have your sister sign for it. Fedex requires that you personally sign for it. Your sister, wife, or anybody else wouldn't be allowed to sign for it. That's what really bothered me since I have people in my condo office who sign for packages all the time.

Devon said...

anyone actually IN your house could sign for it. it requires a direct signature as opposed to an indirect one. indirect means fedex could deliver it to a neighbor who was home and leave a note for you or they could leave it on your door if you left them a note to do that.

the people you should be angry with is microsoft. THEY are the ones requiring a direct signature because they are the ones who paid for the service. they figure its worth the extra time and money to make sure your shit doesn't get stolen off your porch. you'd be amazed at how many of my deliveries get stolen after i drop them off.

trust me, everyone at the station that delivers to you would love it if they didn't have to keep coming back to see if anyone is there to sign for your shit. it would make their lives a lot easier. having to do that is actually a lot bigger pain. in the ass than just dropping it off by our front door but microsoft doesn't want that so thats what they have to do.

and who promised you they'd try to deliver it after 6pm? there's no way i'd be able to do that with my route and i don't think i've heard of any of the other 90 or so routes in my station being able to do that. problem with that is the driver coming by your apartment complex has got a list of pickups to do in the afternoon and all those packages have to make it onto a truck to go to seatac to make a flight to memphis or oakland or indianapolis.

so if someone told you that then maybe they do things different... but i doubt it. so that means that person is an idiot but that person is not the person who has to try delivering your xbox 3 times before sending it back.

next time they try to send it get ahold of microsoft before hand and have them hold it at the station. or better yet, see if they can deliver to your office. they could but who knows what kind of labyrinth of telephone operators you would need to navigate to get microsoft to do that.

you're gonna be alright kid.

Unknown said...

I'm please to say that my new pc was delivered without incident.

I still hate you, however Devon. And should our paths cross, I will be forced to administer a savage beating.

By the way, when I was down at the Auburn facility, I saw that they are hiring grunts for $9.50 an hour. Cheap bastards, no wonder nobody there gives a damn.

Shawn said...

"I like the FedEx man. he's my drug dealer and he don't even know it." - Mitch Hedberg
shelvis