Sunday, March 09, 2008

Beowulf

I finally watched Beowulf, and was unimpressed. I was never able to get past the fact that it seemed like a 2 hour cut scene from a video game, but you never get to play. Sure, the scenery and all inanimate objects looked pretty good, but the characters still looked a little creepy. Not as creepy as The Polar Express, but still creepy.

The voice acting was very good. I'd like to go on about the other good aspects of the movie, but that's it, I'm out.

I never read the book, so I don't know how the story is supposed to go, but this one was really boring. I actually fell asleep the first time through and had to try again the next day. I don't think this is giving too much away, but Beowulf killed Grendel (the villain) in about the first half hour of the movie, and from there nothing really happened the rest of the way. Sure, there was one more big action scene, but by the time they got to that, I was so bored I didn't care anymore anyway.

I still don't know why they decided not to use real actors, but it was a mistake. And I'm less certain why the story died off after the first half hour. But take my word for it and skip this mess.

No comments: