Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Video Conversion

Does anyone out there have any experience with video conversion software? What I would like to do is convert some of the video (sorry Shelvis, not adult material) I have on my PC to mp4 format so that I can put it on my ipod and watch it during my commute. I tried the most logical thing and went to Cnet and download the most popular free program. Well, it turns out it didn't work. The software told me that the conversion was complete, but either did not output the converted file to where I told it to, or did not output it at all. I suspect the latter since searching for it didn't yield any results.

Well, I could go try some of the other free programs out there, but would rather not risk downloading a virus. I would prefer to pay a few bucks and get something that I know will work, will be relatively quick and easy to use, and virus free. If you know of such a program, let me know.

Also, it has been a dream of mine to transfer saved programs from my DVR to my PC, convert them to mp4, and then load them on my ipod. Is there an easy way of accomplishing this feat? I may have to wait until I get myself a laptop to do this since I'd need 25 foot long cables to connect my DVR to my PC without some serious rearranging at the moment. Either that or I'd have to burn the programs to DVD and then rip said DVD on my PC, and then finally convert to mp4. That's a lot of work and I assume would lose so much data in the process that the resulting video would be nigh unwatchable. Plus I'm too lazy to do all that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Mike's the one to ask about that. His kids are always using the latest video software. I have some things that might work, but probably aren't efficient on the file size.

-W