Thursday, November 01, 2007

Spiderman 3

I finally got around to watching Spiderman 3, and after having seen some mediocre reviews wasn't expecting too much. Perhaps having low expectations helps because I thought it was better than expected. It was a step down from the first 2 in the series, however, and I think mainly because they tried to cram too much story into it. There were really too many sub plots going on for one movie. And I felt like the drama with Mary Jane was kind of a retread from part 2.

That being said, Sam Raimi really did a great job portraying the inner struggle within Peter Parker, and did so in a way that most people can relate to. The struggle between doing the right thing and doing what you want. I guess this shouldn't come as any surprise since it has been the crux of all 3 movies. But I guess what makes it so great is that not only is it relatable, but it doesn't come across as preachy. It's also nice to see Peter Parker grow as a human being.

As in the first 2 films, this also has lots of high flying action and great special effects. Plus some nice cameos by Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell. You've got to love Bruce, even as a snooty French maitre'di.

The ending left the door open for another sequel, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. They are running out of villains, and I don't know how much longer they can keep the tension going between Peter and Mary Jane, it's getting stale already. I think they are better off quitting while they are ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, they're starting to creep toward Batman-itis. When will Hollywood learn you can't have so many villians in one movie because there's no time to develop their story? I felt like they knew it was the last one, so they wanted to make sure they got both Venom and Sandman in it. I believe they've covered all his greatest enemies....they're probably done.

-W