Sunday, July 06, 2008

Midnight Blue

Every once in a while a song pops into my head out of the blue (pun intended) for no apparent reason. I can't explain it, but today a song I don't think I've heard in years suddenly started running through my mind. As far as I know, Midnight Blue was the closest thing to a hit Lou Gramm ever had as a solo artist. It's certainly the only one of his songs that I can name. I don't know if it was because of the stylish Michael Bolton hair he's sporting in this video, the unusual spelling of his name, or if it's simply because he just didn't have the song writing talent without Foreigner behind him. All I can say for sure is that even though this song is a solid 20% cheesier than the standard Foreigner fare, the video is surprisingly cheese free for it's time. It's certainly a lot less cheesy than Steve Perry's solo stuff.



I don't know why Journey and Foreigner are forever linked in my mind other than they were both popular at the same time and were both arena rock bands. Regardless, they are linked and therefore Steve Perry and Lou Gramm are linked as well. And so for comparison purposes, I'll also say that Oh Sherrie is the only hit Steve Perry had as a solo artist and include it below. Steve is definitely cheesier and unquestionably uglier but I think has a better voice. But as the video proves, no matter how ugly you are, as long as you're rich and famous you can still get yourself a girl. I'm not sure that's the message he was trying to convey, but that's what I got out of it. And so it is that I think that I should be in a band.

No comments: