Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dumbest Generation

If you aren't part of the Greatest Generation, the Baby Boomer Generation, or even Generation X (the x makes it cool), chances are you're part of the Dumbest Generation. This according to Emery University Professor Mark Bauerlein in his new book: The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30). Yes that's an unnecessarily long and unwieldy title, but I have still reserved my copy from the King County Library System because it looks interesting. I think I'll just carry it around with me all the time so that when all the young idealistic idiots in the U district who are trying to get me to sign some petition, I can just whip that book out and say, "you don't know a damn thing, talking to you is just a complete waste of time. See, it's right her in print."

Actually I think that his conclusions are probably incorrect. I think that typically most people under 30 are or were pretty self absorbed and ill informed regardless of what generation. I think that's just the nature of youth. But it's just nice to be able to look down my nose at another generation instead of being on the receiving end of the condescension. Still, he's got some interesting points.


2 comments:

The Chuckman said...

Let me know if this is good. My sister has a BS job where she gives talks about how misunderstood and generally great "Millinials" are (post Gen-X) that is a load of horse-shit. This book sounds like great fodder to piss her off with. :)

Unknown said...

I think what seems to bother people most about "millenials" or "generation Y" or "generation why" if you prefer is the whole self esteem issue that they seem to be in need of constant praise or reassurance. It's not entirely their fault that they happened to grow up during the great social experiment that schools went through and are still going through that kids can't have any negative reinforcement. Their fragile egos can't take negativity and so they have to be told how special they are and how wonderful they are even though they aren't. Long story short, this generation has a lot of real world waking up to do.

Personally I tend to think that every generation is pretty stupid and self centered in their teens and twenties, and this generation is no different than any other. Still, the book sounds interesting and I'll let you know when I've read it. There's a long waiting list at the library, so I'll probably have long forgotten about it by the time they let me know it's my turn.