Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bon Odori

After the trials and ultimate triumph with my brakes, I headed out to the Bon Odori. It's always at the same time of year as Seafair, and I guess I don't really know why I like going except that when I was a kid my Grandparents always took me. I think it's part nostalgia, and it's also that I enjoy seeing the taiko drums, dancing, Japanese people in traditional attire, and of course the good food. I really like somen noodles. This year I also realized that I like feeling tall for a change, it's quite a novelty.

I usually go to the event in downtown Seattle, but this year I headed down to Auburn to the White River Bhuddist Temple. It's a little smaller gathering, but it was nice not to have to deal with the crowds. I noticed that there aren't many people my age at the Bon Odori. It's mostly older people and kids. I don't remember it being that way in years past, but maybe that's just Auburn. I will say though that there were tons of adorable young kids running around in their kimonos this year. I think if I ever have kids I want to have a Japanese kid because they are just so cute. I've heard that there is some DNA or something involved that may prevent this, but maybe that's just one more sign that I'm not meant to be a parent. Anyway, it was a good time and even though it's over this year, remember this next year and maybe I'll see you there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Japanese in you. You've unfortunately got that Scottish/Irish Crawford gene. That's the one that makes you prone to "accidentally" light things on fire, blow stuff up just because it was there, bloody up your knuckles while working on the car, and finally yes hit your head on pretty much anything that it can reach.

Just remember if you ever do have kids, just keep a real good eye on them........ :)

Unknown said...

I don't need to keep an eye on them. With cable tv and the internet, kids practically raise themselves these days.

It is also important to note that while working on my car this weekend, I didn't hit my head on anything or bloody up my knuckles or any other body part.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe a Crawford could work on a car without blooding up their knuckles or hitting their head at least once on the trunk lid.....

You weren't taught to work on cars without inflicting some bodily harm on yourself. What happened? :)