Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dark Knight

As you all know by now, The Dark Knight hits theaters this Friday. Due to other plans along with the fact that I don't really want to fight the crowds to see it opening night, I will watch it another night. But that's not the point. The point is that in preparation for The Dark Night, I will be watching Batman Begins this week in all it's HD glory. I haven't yet decided on what day, but it looks like Monday, Tuesday and Friday are out. So if you're interested in swinging by and watching it with me and have a preference between Wednesday and Thursday, let me know.

I know this is not going to be a popular thing to say, but I actually think that Heath Ledger looks pretty annoying and not at all scary in the clips I've seen. Acting crazy has to be every actors dream because it's the easiest thing in the world - you just do whatever irrational thing comes to mind - but Heath seems to be heading into hammy, Pacino-esque overacting territory. The whole make up/costume I don't care for either, but that's not really his fault. He looks more like a crazy prom date than a scary villain. But the put on voice is more annoying than anything else. His portrayal seems a little campy to me and reminds me of the old tv show. I thought modern comic book movies were trying to distance themselves from that style.

I have developed a man crush on Christopher Nolan though and have faith in his abilities, along with the rest of the cast (I'm turning into a pretty big Christian Bale fan and I love Michael Caine) to make this yet another great movie. On a tangent, I've realized recently that I have a lot easier time describing what I don't like about movies (and everything I guess) than what I like about it. I can write a really long review of a movie I hate and go into detail of exactly why I hate it, but I have trouble writing reviews of movies I love. I'm working on that, but based on expectations, you shouldn't expect to see more than 2 paragraphs from me after seeing The Dark Knight. I don't know if that means I'm a negative person or if that's the way everyone is. Perhaps I'll never know.

No comments: