Friday, July 25, 2008

Hi There

Ok, the Peter Gabriel classic Big Time has been running through my head for almost a week now. It all started on Saturday the 19th. The Mariners were having an 80's night, and in addition to them wearing some ugly throwback uniforms, they played Big Time every time Brian LaHair got up to bat. Well, by the time the next day rolled around I had forgotten about it, and it wasn't until Monday or Tuesday when I received an email that started out with "Hi There" and it all came back. Since then it has been in and out of my head all week.

I always loved this song, and despite the weirdness, I loved the video too. It is a good 8% less weird than Sledghammer, and at least 15% less likely to cause a seizure. So watch away knowing that the chances of any unfortunate side effects are minimal. Peter Gabriel had such a unique sound that I don't know really how to categorize it other than 80's music. He managed to weave together some pretty complex rhythms and use instruments uncommon in most popular music, but despite it being unusual, it really worked. He has since faded into anonymity and I can't help wondering where he is now. I also can't help wondering just what the hell Shock the Monkey was about.

No comments: