Saturday, April 21, 2007

Roast Your Own

Well, I've been thinking about getting a new coffee roaster again. I currently have a Fresh Roast Plus that I was happy with until I broke the roasting chamber. Well, it's been too long and I once again have the urge to drink some fresh roasted coffee.





The question now is do I get another Fresh Roast Plus or step up to something bigger. The Fresh Roast Plus is relatively cheap, roasts the coffee quickly, and is easy to use. The main drawback is the quantity of beans you can roast with it. Now if I were to get something like this instead, I could roast a lot more beans at a time, but it also costs 5 times as much.

As much as I love coffee, I don't know if I can justify the expense. Also, the larger capacity models produce more smoke, and the smaller one produces a lot of smoke already. I have to roast outdoors because it will set off the smoke alarm every time. Even directly under the range hood with the fan on high.
There are some intermediate models too like the i-Roast, but again, I'm not sure the added features are worth the added expense. I think I'm probably going to get another Fresh Roast because it was an easy to use, reliable (except that it had pieces that break when you drop them), and cheap.
When I finally do get around to ordering something, you're all invited over for a delicious cup of coffee, except for you non-coffee drinkers. I'm still not sure why I'm friends with any of your kind.

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Well I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband is, but we just buy the big thing of Folders French Roast and let them do all the work for us.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I'd consider your husband a coffee drinker either if he's drinking Folgers.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Crawford obsession with coffee. If I were you I'd consider all the times you have your coffee obsessed family over and then think if you need a bigger roaster.

I think I'm in your boat with the cost though. Sounds like bigger is way more expensive, and 5X is just too much.

Pat