Friday, April 13, 2007

Expired Meat

My parents, God love 'em, brought me over a small package of ham the last time they came over to visit. Well, it's been sitting in my freezer for a month now, until today when I decided some ham sounded pretty tasty. Luckily for me I looked at the package before digging in, because that's where I saw the words 'best if used by June 17, 2004'. No, that is not a typo, that is in fact 3 year old ham. I am ashamed to admit that for one brief moment, the thought did cross my mind 'well, it has been in the freezer, maybe it's ok'. I decided against playing Russian roulette with my gastro intestinal system though. If you ever hear me say 'mmmmm, expired meat', please intervene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on... Grandpa Crawford would have eaten that ham in no time. Of course he used to eat raw jalapeno peppers out of the jar, ate just plain grits without sugar or honey or anything to change that taste, and drank a lot of hard alcohol. Could it be the jalapenos would kill anything in his colon, the grits would push anything out, and the alcohol in general would wipe anything away?....

Maybe he was just a visionary...

Or it could be his taste buds just didn't work right.