Thursday, April 19, 2007

Autogyro

Today I was reminded of my fascination with the autogyro. These aircraft are small and lightweight, can maintain flight at very low speeds, require very limited room for takeoff and landing, and are very safe in comparison with other aircraft. If you get a small enough one, a pilot's license isn't even required to fly one, although from what I have read, for safety's sake, it's better to get a bigger one and a license.

Anyway, for a while I had dreamed of getting one to commute in and avoiding the horrendous Seattle area traffic, although I admittedly don't know anything about airspace restrictions, or where you could legally take off and land. In addition to the idea of commuting, being able to cross the sound without having to be subject to the ferry system or the Tacoma Narrows bridge is very appealing, and just the idea of flying in itself is fairly exhilarating. I would love to be able to cruise around at relatively low speed and altitude and just sight see.

Based on their relative safety and ease of flight, and also limited expense, I've always thought that one day I might realistically own one. There is currently only 1 available on craigslist, going for $8,900. So who knows if flight is in my future, but I hope so.

No comments: