Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sweet Water

Today's musical spotlight shines down on local band Sweet Water. I'm in another one of my moods today where I can't stop listening to local bands and reliving the glory days of the grunge era when our Seattle bands ruled the universe. Anyway, after listening to some Mother Love Bone, some Temple of the Dog, and some Mad Season, I got it in my head to look up a band I haven't heard in years - Sweet Water. They never hit it big, and nobody has heard anything from them in over a decade - their last album came out in 95, and having listened to 2 of their albums, I can honestly say that with the exception of 3 songs, their music wasn't very good. But those 3 songs were really good, good enough that even now I'm a little surprised they didn't get more attention. Their most widely recognized song would have to have been Superstar. It wasn't their best song, but it got heavy play at Mariner games for a while. Every time that God awful Rich Amaral got up to bat they would play Superstar. Head Down was also pretty good but didn't get much attention. But in my opinion, hands down their best song was Everything Will Be Alright. I loved this song back in the day, and even listening to it again now, I still love it. I don't know why it wasn't a huge hit. But all I can find of it now is two crappy videos on youtube. One is a live recording that the sound is so bad it should never be heard by anyone. The other one the sound quality isn't too bad, but the video is awful. I expect all of you to watch it:



If you want to learn more about Sweet Water, visit your local library. Or this link. Whichever is easier.

And if anyone has an mp3 of this song that they want to send me it would make me happy. The other song I've been dying to get a copy of for years, but can't even find anywhere to buy a copy is the cover of Hold Your Head Up by Mother Love Bone. I hear it on the radio occasionally, but it is absolutely nowhere to be found. If anyone can point me in the right direction on that one too, you'll be my best friend.

No comments: