Thursday, July 26, 2007

Phone Problems

For the last year and a half, I have had VOIP phone service through a company called Sunrocket. I have absolutely loved it. Good sound quality most of the time (occasional choppy sound, but not that often), unlimited calling in the US and Canada, a certain number of free international minutes a month (I don't know how many since I never made any international calls), voice mail, caller id, 3 way calling, and several other features I didn't ever use. All for the low price of $199 a year. For those of you scoring at home, that's approximately $16.60 a month.

Well, that all came to an end last week when without warning, Sunrocket filed for bankruptcy and shut off it's service. That left me without phone service for a couple days while I scrambled to find another phone company. I managed to find a company called Teleblend that got my phones back up and running almost immediately without having to get any new equipment and I am able to keep my phone number. In order to attract Sunrocket customers who got screwed, they are offering an introductory rate of $13 a month.

That got me back up and running for now, but I can't help thinking it's just a stopgap solution. I have looked into some of the more reliable alternatives, and as much as I hate it, I think it might finally be time to get a cell phone. I know I have ranted about how much I hate them, but right now I don't see a better option. It looks like I can get a plan with more minutes than I'll need for under $35 a month, but the problem now is that there are about 100 phones on the market that all look about the same but seem to vary in price a great deal. I can't imagine I'll ever get into text messaging, and I don't think I'll be taking many pictures. Is there anything else I need to consider besides sound quality and battery life? At the moment I'm kind of leaning toward the Razor since it is slimmer than the rest and seems like it would be less annoying to carry around. But at the moment that's all I'm basing my decision on.

The cell phone industry has finally broken my will. It's truly a dark day.

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

I always just get the free phone that comes with the plan when you sign up. I've never had any problems. The sounds is good and I've even dropped my phone many times and it just keeps on working. I can't stand flip phones though, but that's because I fidgit and I just sit there and open, close, open, close and it drives me crazy, but for some reason I can't stop myself.