Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Crackpot Theories

I have already found yet another benefit of being home during the day. There is a wonderful show on the National Geographic channel today about how NASA faked the moon landing. Several nutjobs are going on at length about how it wasn't possible for the astronauts to do the things they did, the inconsistencies and inaccuracies of the film and photos, etc. It's all great fun.

I'll tell you right now that I don't believe any conspiracy theories. I don't believe a UFO crashed in Roswell. I don't believe bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster exist. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy. And I have absolutely no doubt that we did actually land on the moon. But that doesn't mean that I don't find these crackpots to be very entertaining. I am a sucker for almost any show about mythical monsters, ghosts (although those are beginning to wear thin), government cover ups, secret organizations, aliens, etc. I absolutely love those things. How people can come up with such intricate, convoluted explanations for things is endlessly fascinating to me.

So I either need to take more vacations, or somehow find more time to waste on daytime television. Working is for suckers. Maybe if I can come up with some suitably insane theory of my own, I can write a book about it and make enough money to retire. The best theory I have come up with so far is that a planet nearly identical to earth exists directly on the other side of the sun, and that's where all the aliens are coming from. And because the sun is always in the way, we can't ever see it. I was deeply saddened when I told that theory to someone else who said that the theory already exists. So I'm back to square one. All ideas are welcome.

5 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Have you ever seen the movie JFK with Kevin Costner??? How can you honestly believe that Oswald killed Kennedy???

Unknown said...

No, I never did see JFK. I do consider Oliver Stone to be a crackpot though, so I already don't believe any of his theories.

Anonymous said...

Good lord, a good 80% of Stone's 'JFK' is pure fiction. I suggest a reading of Vincent Bugliosi's latest book 'Reclaiming History: The Assasination of JFK'. He blows every JFK conspiracy theory out of the water...Oswald acted alone...and Kevin Costner can't act at all, he was awful in 'JFK'.

Lyndsay said...

I love true crime books so I'll be checking out his work. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Bugliosi was the prosecutor that put Manson away and then wrote the book 'Helter Skelter' about the whole affair. I'll warn ya now, the JFK book is a hefty one...use it to work out with when you are done!