Monday, July 09, 2007

HD Is For Me

I got home from work today to find that the good people from DHL delivered my HDTV 2 days ahead of schedule. If it had been shipped FedEx, it may never have arrived, but my FedEx hatred is a post for another day. Anyway, thanks to a screaming deal from Fry's, I'm catching up to the latest technology, and that was all the excuse I needed to sit down in my recliner and not move for the rest of the evening. I may have to call in sick the rest of the week. That combined with the fact that the weather will be hot enough to prohibit much physical activity the rest of the week, and it may be some time before I see the light of day again.

My one concern so far is that the picture is not quite as clear as I had hoped. I don't know if Comcast is to blame for this, or my lack of an HDMI cable, or both, but I think I'm going to have to get an HDMI cable and see how much that improves things. And I'm also beginning to wonder if I need an HD DVD player. But perhaps it's wiser to see how the whole blue ray thing shakes out since it looks like blue ray is winning the battle so far.

What I do know is that I have not been spending enough quality time in front of the tv in recent weeks, something I plan to remedy soon.

*Update: here is the model I got.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the specs on this bad boy - DLP, LCD? Screen size? 1080p, 1080i or 720p? Manufacturer?

Unknown said...

It's a 32" LCD - 1080i. The downside is it is a manufacturer I've never heard of and couldn't even find reviews of on Cnet - Emprex. I'm pretty skeptical of electronics from brands I've never heard of, but it was only $399 at Fry's, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=195&PHPSESSID=6b4e7e0c60d3d0c98256f57215342ccf

Anonymous said...

You could see how the picture looks by tuning in the local HD channels. I know they're a lot higher res than anything we get on Direct TV.

-Wayne