Monday, December 24, 2007

It's NOT Quite Convenient!

So here I am, working a half day on Christmas Eve because Ebenezer Safeco wouldn't give me a full day off. I've been complaining for weeks now that I would be going out of town for the weekend, would have to come back to work for a half day, and then immediately go back out of town again.

I have been quoting my hero and role model - Scrooge for days now, as I do every year this time of year. And since I have yet to be visited by any spirits, I'm still grumpy. Although, in theory, I don't see how ghosts keeping me up all night would make me any more cheerful or merry. I assume I would be saying a lot of things along the lines of, "let me go back to sleep you damn ghosts."

But before I get too far off track, here is some of the greatest dialogue in literary history, dialogue which I find quite apropos today.

Scrooge: You'll want the day off tomorrow I suppose

Cratchit: If it's quite convenient sir.

Scrooge: It's NOT quite convenient, not at all sir, and not fair! If I were to dock you half a crown for it, you'd think yourself ill-used!

Cratchit: Mr. Scrooge....

Scrooge: But you don't think me ill-used when I pay full day's wages for no days work!

Cratchit: It's only once a year sir.

Scrooge: That's a poor excuse for picking a man's pocket every 25th of December.

The entire novel is available online in pdf format here. Or you can just watch one of the many film adaptations. Which reminds me, why haven't I seen Scrooged on tv yet this year. Usually TNT and/or TBS have combined to show it approximately 35 times by now. What gives?

1 comment:

W&MGrad said...

Sorry to hear that Scrooge kept you at work. While you were toiling away at the office, we watched "A Year Without Santa Claus." Well, Wayne and I did. We made Pat stay in the basement and wrap gifts.....