Monday, September 08, 2008

Troubling

I just got home to find that there were not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, oh wait, there were four police cars with lights on at my complex. Sorry, I got a little carried away there. And actually there may have been more than four, that's all I saw. I'm not sure what was going on, but it couldn't have been good. I think that it's the not knowing that bothers me the most. I know that curiosity killed the cat, but more than anything I want to walk up to one of the police cars and ask what's going on. But the memory of the last time something similar happened still lingers in my mind.

The year was many years ago. I refuse to narrow it down more than that. I was living in West Seattle at the time and had drifted off to yet another dream filled sleep when I was awakened from my slumber by the sound of a helicopter. I peered out the window to see police cars with lights flashing blocking some of the area streets. The closest officer was 2 houses away. Like tonight, I resisted the urge to go out and ask what was going on, if for no other reason that it would involve me getting dressed. I would have none of that.

It wasn't until the next day that I talked to one of my neighbors who had gone out to investigate. The officer he spoke with responded with, "get back in your house, lock the door, and don't open it for anybody." I don't remember how I eventually found out that there had been an armed robbery at a convenience store down the street and the suspect had fled in my direction. I assume they eventually caught him. And so tonight I'll keep an eye on the proceedings from the confines of my home. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the details. I'll call up security if I have to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well of COURSE -thats what you get for living in a ghetto place like West Seattle.I can't imagine what happened in your apartment complex over here but that sounds about right for the WS

Unknown said...

Don't get down on West Seattle. There were actually a lot of things I liked about living there. And I still love to go to Alki on a sunny day.