Saturday, August 23, 2008

Quote of the Day

After seeing Yuniesky Bettencourt walk for the second time tonight - yes, the same Yuniesky Bettencourt who rarely sees more than 4 pitches a night, let alone in an at bat - the manager walked out to the mound to have a talk with the offending pitcher Huston Street. Without missing a beat, Dave Niehaus said, "You know what he's telling him right now? He's saying 'do you know who you just walked?'" Zing! And that, my friends, is why Dave is in the hall of fame.

This narrowly beat out my own personal one liner of the night, not just because he's a hall of fame broadcaster, but also because far more people got to hear his line. During the exciting Mariner game, we switched one of the tvs over to the Olympics and were watching the women's 4x400 relay. I believe it was the third leg of the relay when the US runner grabbed the baton and started pulling away from the rest of the field. Somebody said something along the lines of 'look at her go' or 'she's really pulling away' or something to that effect, I don't really remember because that's not the important part of the story. I immediately looked into my bag of tricks and pulled out, "she's running like I just asked her out on a date." Sadly only one person heard that and my efforts were only rewarded with one laugh. But I'll take it. All too often my best one liners are for my amusement alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I noticed that about Yuni recently as well. I think they also recently tried him 2nd in the lineup and that may be why he's batting differently. I think his average is back on its way up to 280. Now, if we can just move Beltre down to 5th or even 6th in the lineup and move Lopez before or after Raul, then we'll have something. Beltre's one of those dead spots in the lineup too often and kills our momentum I've noticed.