Monday, August 04, 2008

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

I will publicly admit that I enjoyed the original Mummy. I thought it was a fun, light hearted action movie, and when you throw in a drop dead gorgeous Patricia Velasquez painted gold (I've had a big crush on her for years), how can you not like it? Admittedly The Mummy Returns was a bit of a letdown, but still had it's moments. The third installment - The Scorpion King - was a huge drop in entertainment value despite having yet another gorgeous woman whom I've had a crush on for years showing a lot of skin - Kelly Hu.

Despite the steady decline in quality, the previews of the newest iteration - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - looked pretty good to me. Perhaps I was blinded by the special effects, but I thought that the series was turning things around. Adding Jet Li and the beautiful Maria Bello and Michelle Yeoh I thought added some credibility. But it turns out I was mistaken. As you can see from the tomato meter to the right, a whopping 9% of critics thought it was watchable. That is a dismal enough score that I'm not sure I want to even waste the time watching it when it is released on DVD. The harshest review actually says "Makes me miss Uwe Boll." Ouch!

I'm a little disappointed as I had hoped this would be enjoyable, and perhaps this movie will be retitled: Tomb of Brendan Fraser's Career.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Tomb of the Dragon Emperor met everyone's expectations... Brendan Frasier tries too hard to act, so you can tell he's acting