Wednesday, June 06, 2007

MMA

Am I the only person left in this world that couldn't care less about ultimate fighting? It seems that I am absolutely being bombarded with coverage of mixed martial arts these days. And I really don't understand the appeal. I understand that there is strategy and skill involved, but to me, it's just 2 guys beating each other up. Cock fighting has been banned. And thanks to Michael Vick, I now know that dog fighting is a felony offense in 48 states. But somehow 2 humans beating each other senseless is acceptable. I know that we like to think that we have evolved as a society to be more civilized, but to me, watching fighting is one step above the Romans watching gladiators fight to the death, or feeding Christians to the lions. And I feel the need for a small disclaimer here: when I refer to fighting, obviously I am excluding boxing since it is only slightly more credible than pro wrestling.

And it's not just televised fighting. Youtube is littered with clips of people beating each other up. I really don't see how it is that so many people enjoy watching people inflict pain on each other. And yet on the other hand, I really enjoyed the short lived tv show Max X which was chock full of stupid people hurting themselves doing stupid things. So maybe I'm just hypocritical. Either way, I'll still politely decline the inevitable invitation to go hang out with friends every time Chuck Liddell fights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way until I actually watched a full-blown MMA PPV event. Being a huge boxing fan I always kind of looked down at MMA, but then I saw the skill involved in the fights...and it blows boxing away...and sure, knowing that the match is going to end in a KO of some sort is appealing as well. Is it brutal? Sure, but unlike cockfighting or dog fights, the participants are there of their own freewill.

Now, I'll admit there is an overwhelming meathead element to MMA, and until the sport finds a way to limit the goombah factor it will remain a popular but lower 2nd tier sport....like NASCAR.

Unknown said...

As a karate student myself, I do understand the skill involved, and I also understand that I'm supposed to love it, but it's just difficult for me to see it as anything other than modern day gladitorial combat. I'm sure the gladiators were very skilled as well. For me it just all boils down to being a spectical of violence. Just 2 guys beating on each other while a crowd of people cheers on hoping to see an injury.