Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fun on the bus

After reading about Shelvis's drama on the bus, I'm reminded of an old bus story myself. Back when I lived in West Seattle, I was taking the 21 home as usual when we pulled up to the stop at 35th and Morgan in High Point. Now High Point wasn't as nice back then as it is now. There were usually a few unsavory characters hanging around. Well, at the stop, there was a woman carrying a Washington Mutual duffel bag getting off the bus. As far as I can tell, some drugged up idiot got it in his head that said bag must be full of cash. He then punched the woman, tried to grab the bag, but was unable to rip it away from her, gave up and ran. We sat there for several minutes before the police showed up, and sat there for several more while they interviewed several witnesses. I would guess it had probably been between 10 and 15 minutes since the incident had happened when the perpetrator stuck his head around the corner of the Pizza Hut across the street to take a peek and see what was going on. Somebody spotted him, told the police, and very shortly later they had him handcuffed in the back of a squad car. He had that long of a head start and wasn't smart enough to get farther away than across the street. I can only imagine that he still had ideas about getting that womans bag. In the end, a good time was had by all though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I used to ride the 21 as well and would dread it when I missed the 'Express' and got stuck on the 'Local', or 'Loco' as we called it. Nothing like being stuck on a bus with a bunch of drunk winos that were picked up on 1st ave, especially in the summer when it would be hot and reek of BO and puke in every bus. Not good times.

Lyndsay said...

I am so glad I only rode the bus for 3 months. In those 3 months the bus driver did have to kick two people off the bus and we were pulled over by the police one morning. That was enough excitement for me!