Monday, June 18, 2007

Elijah Dukes

I came across this story today about Tampa Bay Devil Ray outfielder Elijah Dukes. Allegedly, this moron has knocked up a 17 year old foster child who used to live with his mother. If the allegations are true, this would be the 6th child with 5 different women for the 22 year old. At this rate, he's a virtual lock to break Shawn Kemp's record.

As if that wasn't enough, he also has threatened to kill his ex-wife and her kids. And while I certainly don't condone steroid use, I can't help wondering why Barry Bonds gets so much negative press while guys like this jackass are relatively left alone outside of local papers. If what his ex says is true, and I don't know how it couldn't be since she saved the phone messages, this guy belongs in jail.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but how much of this behavior are we going to tolerate from athletes before we've finally had enough and start cracking down hard on them? I appreciate the fact that Roger Goodell is at least coming down hard on NFL players, specifically Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones, for behavioral issues, but the NBA and MLB really need to follow suit. I haven't watched an NBA game in several years because I can't stomach the fact that so much criminal behavior is overlooked. Bud Selig and David Stern are both worthless commissioners and need to go.

No comments: