Sunday, June 10, 2007

Burger Time

This weekend I was tipped off to the list of the 20 best burgers in the country - although that probably means in the world since I don't think any other countries eat many burgers. I think the list is a little dubious though since the only place on the list that I've been to - Red Mill Burgers - I didn't find particularly impressive. Granted it was far better than a fast food burger, but I've had many better burgers. I think that Red Robin is probably the best I've been able to find in the Seattle area. Also detracting from the credibility is the fact that the #8 spot on the list belongs to Miller's Bar in Dearborn. I haven't been there myself, but my brother (who I believe is officially escaping Michigan on Monday and is on his way back to Bremerton) had this to say about Miller's Bar, "they were just okay. And the service sucked, the beverage selection sucked, they were even kind of expensive...and we had to brake our rule about not going to restaurants with no-windows. I'd take Fuddruckers or Red Robin over them any day." Not exactly a raving review.


That being said, the best burger I have ever had was at Bob's Burger And Brew in Bellingham. Apparently they have 8 other locations, but the one in Fairhaven is the only one I've been to. If you're ever up North, you owe it to yourself to stop in and get a Bob's Bonanza burger. Two 1/3 pound patties of beef with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc. It comes with sauteed mushrooms if you like, but I hate mushrooms. It is also served with a mountain of jo-jos. It is probably the most delicious thing I've ever eaten in addition to being a lot of food.


If you ever find yourself in Jefferson county, out in the middle of nowhere by Quilcene, you should also stop in to Fat Smitty's. Yes the burger you will get there is almost that big. Unlike the one pictured, however, yours will not be made of wood. It will simply be an enormous, exceptionally tasty burger.
An honorable mention also goes to the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse in Hillsboro, OR. They make a damn fine burger.
Finally, I found this article about 6 stalwart souls who traveled all over our great state in an attempt to find the best burger. Sadly, most of the featured establishments are too far away for me, but maybe I'll drive up to Mount Vernon one day and visit the Chuck Wagon Drive In. Anyone willing to make the journey with me is invited.
Since I am always on the prowl for a good burger. Any suggestions are welcome. I know the Seattle Weekly puts out a best of Seattle issue every year, but since Red Mill perennially wins, and since Dome Burger in Pioneer Square also made the top 5 the last time I saw it and I was unimpressed with them, I don't give too much credibility to them.

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

If you are ever in Southern California, try Knowlwood Burgers. They're the best, and the last time I was there, they were a dying breed. Since I am moving back down there soon,I hope they're still around! Have you ever been to California Burgers in Lynnwood? It's right by the mall. They have the weirdest stuff, like peanut butter on a burger. Interesting....

Unknown said...

I haven't heard of California Burgers, but Lynnwood is close enough that I'd be willing to drive up there to give them a try. I'm a little leery about the peanut butter burger though.